There is blood on our hands again

(From the song 'Blood on our Hands' by Death From Above 1979).

What I'm clumsily trying to say is that here's a blog what I made whilst I should've been doing something better and that if you're reading it then you should be doing something better too. Also, the fact that you and I have the time and resources to respectively make and read this gumpf is why the World is so screwed.

18 May 2007

The dying myth of parliamentary democracy.

So, the Freedom of Information act that was so lauded by the government and it's supporters takes a step backwards... No-one wants to know what our elected officials get up to after all, we just toss a coin and vote for whoever wears the right tie anyway. So despite the fact that the Data Protection Act supposedly covers all correspondance between constituent and MP (according to Liberty and the Lib Dems anyway), it looks like that's the public reason why MPs are in favour of this bill.

How can MPs moan about political apathy and cynicism when they talk about FoI and open government being great whilst taking steps to exempt themselves from it? I'm really fed up of the continual disappointment that New Labour had proved to be. I'd expect this type of thing from the Tories and the fact that I was so excited about the FoI act in the first place makes it all the harder to swallow. It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking about giving up with the whole bloody thing and leaving the country. If only I had more than a couple of quid to my name... and a better country to go to... and one that spoke English. Oh well... I guess I'll just keep voting for parties that will never get elected despite the proportion of overall votes, that sure keeps my faith going.

At least I don't live in America.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home