There is blood on our hands again

(From the song 'Blood on our Hands' by Death From Above 1979).

What I'm clumsily trying to say is that here's a blog what I made whilst I should've been doing something better and that if you're reading it then you should be doing something better too. Also, the fact that you and I have the time and resources to respectively make and read this gumpf is why the World is so screwed.

06 October 2006

"Get Bill Gates In Here!"

On Sunday evening Xp decided to remember that it was made by Microsoft and suddenly crash for no reason. Fine... It hadn't happened in such along time that I really can't remember the last time it did such an odious thing. I calmly gazed at the blue screen and thought that it was probably overdue such an occurrence and hit the reset button. That's when my unusual calmness ended and I reverted to 'annoyed Dave'. Essentially Xp thought it might be fun to start to load, get to the loading screen and then reboot... continuously. Cockbeans...

Whilst I may very well have been discussing my desire to have a crack at a Linux distribution recently I don't think it was fair for Windows to get all pissy and throw me out of the house.. but that's what happened and after spending the week computerless (minus work) I thought it was time to make amends and purchase a legal copy of Windows or take the plunge and download a version of Linux that looked the most idiot-proof.

So I took the easy (but not cheap) option of buying Windows... I know... I suck. But I did do some serious investigation of what products the Linux community had on offer and I hope that my current modus operandi will ameliorate some of the dirtiness I feel after having paid Microsoft some money. By this I mean to say that I'm writing this blog using Firefox and running that from a Live CD version of Linux called Knoppix.

I had my doubts and was ready for the damn thing not to want to work but here I am and I have to save that I'm impressed. If I hadn't got Windows working again (and I did, but without the copy I just bought dammit!) then this would have kept me fairly happy. It's got Firefox pre-bundled along with Open Office and a bunch of other programs which I haven't had the chance to look at just yet. It's a little slow to load things especially if you've got a lot going on at once but you're running an entire free OS from a CD so I think it's a little much to complain!
Also I'm going through a major In Flames thing at the moment so I'm already associating some good feelings with Knoppix! Writing my blog listening to kick ass music is always good.. plus it's Friday!

Anyways... I'm pretty pleased with Knoppix and as it's bootable from CD you don't have to faff with dual OS boot-ups or anything (not that I know if that is a problem it just sounds like it could be one). But anyone fed up with Windows or with HD space at a premium I'd say that Knoppix is a God-send!

On a side note I feel I should point out that I heard about a few other Linux distributions available in a live-CD format but Knoppix was the first one I read about and had a few good comments so I decided to check it out. Basically I don't want to steal any thunder from any other versions of Linux that may or not be better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home